Tuesday, February 19, 2008

One Example...Coming Up

Right after I wrote the last post, I left the house to go run some errands. As I was loading up, I saw my next door neighbors leaving too. The wife has cancer. I'm not sure what kind and it doesn't really seem like it matters. Bob has become friends with the husband, through some home improvement ties, etc. I don't know the spiritual situation of these folks and to be honest, I don't know that I've ever said more than a hello to the wife.

Either way, today, as I saw them getting into their car with a person I can only assume is a home-care nurse (based on some recent activity), I felt like I should say something. So, as I backed out of the driveway, I stopped and rolled down the window. Now, keep in mind, the whole time I'm debating whether I should just pretend like I don't see them b/c I don't know what the situation is and sometimes people just want to keep their business to themselves.

Anyway, I stopped and asked if they were headed to treatment. The husband, who is a really friendly guy but sort of "salty", said "yes". He had the strangest look on his face and it broke my heart. It's weird to be so moved by someone's expression. It was a look I can only describe as one of vulnerability and fear. Who knows what he's dealing with. Who knows what they were headed to endure. At this point, I don't feel like I can ask any specific questions.

So, I asked him if he would please let us know if we can do anything to help, make dinner and bring it over, whatever. I said it with all the sincerity I was feeling, knowing people usually don't take you up on offers like that because people (me included) just don't like to ask for help. I told him it would be no problem, I could just make a little extra and run it over and I think I ended our conversation with something, "really, please let me know".

As soon as he turned around, I felt that yucky feeling in my stomach. Why didn't I just ask him what if I could bring dinner tonight, or ask what night would be good...you know, presumptively close. Either way, I've got some following up to do.

Because they are my neighbors.

And I want to show 'em some love...like God would.

2 comments:

Kim said...

The gospel being played out is in your near future with a lovely chicken casserole and crunchy loaf of french bread. Just pop in. If they have too much then they can pop it in the freezer. Chances are, they'll appreciate it and know that you meant what you said.
The gospel is not just words on a page. Do it.

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

Hey girl.. sorry I read your blog often but don't ever leave comments .. but this one struck a chord. I'm with kim (hey kim).. just drop it by.. if they don't need it they can freeze it. I know that will open up that door of relationship all the more. You did the right thing... rolling down your window..that is a big step..in the right direction. God will honor that move!

keep us posted.