Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Out of Our League

I had a roommate in college who would drill me every time I came home from a date. She wanted to know what Bob and I both had to eat. Weird right?

Well, if she were reading this post, she'd be in heaven.

The Grove Park Inn was beautiful and we had such a great time visiting with lots of family, as in 78 people from my mom's side. It was a birthday party for my grandfather's 90th birthday/family reunion.

Friday night started off with a "Seafood Buffet", complete with Mahi Mahi, Salmon, Snapper, Trout, Chicken Parmesan, fresh fruit and all kinds of breads. Breakfast the next morning was just our family and we had more fresh fruit - pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, huge strawberries and grapes, all kinds of breakfast pastries, bacon and sausage, scrambled eggs, grits, and just about any kind of juice you could think of.

Let me take a break from describing all this food to tell you about the scenery.

The actual Inn is huge and set amongst gorgeous scenery. The Blue Ridge mountains surround Asheville, which you can just see a little bit of. The GPI Spa is nestled down a hill, against the back of the Inn and it's sort of built into some rock underground. There's a gorgeous golf course behind that.




We spent some time just walking around outside exploring on Saturday, then my parents - ever so graciously, agreed to watch Sam for the afternoon so that my sisters, two of my cousins, Bob and I could go downtown to walk around and eat lunch. And oh my goodness did we eat lunch.

We got a recommendation for this Mexican/Carribbean restaurant called Salsas. It was unbelievably good. I mean seriously, it was awesome.

It was great to get away and spend some time with lots of family...some we haven't seen for years. Bob and I would love to go back one weekend, just the two of us!

No comments: