Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Crayon Project

Are you doing Pinterest? If not, you should. It’s great.
I held off for a while thinking I didn’t need one more thing to keep up with but I’ve just decided to not let it stress me out. If I don’t get on it for a week, no biggie. If I don’t follow everyone who follows me or repin frequently, no biggie. Really, I’m just using it as a great way to compile cool stuff I find on the internet in one place…if nothing else, it’s a great way to keep track of recipes!
I saw this “crayon thing” on Pinterest a few weeks ago. I think it’s kind of all over the place so I’m sure you’ve all seen it before. Anyway, I decided it would be a fun little craft for me to do with Sam.
Plus, lining up crayons or markers in rainbow order just makes me happy. Anybody else feel the same way?
I’m cheap, so we didn’t use Crayola. Since this was our first attempt and I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, we went with the $3 pack of 64 Rose Art crayons.
line-up
concernedsam and crayons
Sam kept saying, “this is the best thing I’ve EVER done!” I don’t know if I’d go that far, but it was pretty cool.
SAM_1849
(What is that face?!)
So, you buy a box of crayons and line them up in rainbow order. (I didn’t use the blacks, greys or browns.)
Hot glue the crayons on a canvas.
Turn your hair dryer on hot and high. You may need to knock it down to low so you don’t end up with this type of splatter…or maybe that’s because I was pointing it straight on at the bottom of the crayons.
splatter
It worked better when I pointed the hair dryer down from the top. It’s pretty quick so it’s a great project to do with kids, who have short attention spans and may or may not be bouncing off the walls.
SAM_1856SAM_1850
It’s not perfect. I could’ve used a smaller canvas or more crayons. But it sure was fun watching Sam get so excited about it! Maybe next time we’ll do a color scheme to match his and Grey’s room…

8 comments:

Julie L said...

I love that. that is the BEST thing I've EVER seen. Tell him his AJ wishes she was there too. :)

Lauren said...

LOVE! I don't do pinterest, but I saw this project on One Pretty Thing the other day and want to try it. Yours turned out great! :)

Melissa said...

my mom has been talking about this project for a long time now...i didn't realize it was on pinterest. definitely something we'll be doing this winter when we're bored out of our minds.

i love sam's face on the bathhoom floor. he's so into it!
i agree with everything you said about pinterest. someone asked me if i actually do the things i pin, and while i've only used about 10 ideas, they've been amazing.

megan and nick said...

LOVE Pinterest! And, love to know that this project is legit. Also love the idea of doing it in colors that match the kids's rooms. Definitely a project Ella and I will have to tackle. What size canvas did you use?

Laura said...

How fun! I wish I could have experience his joy! What a great feeling it must have been to hear him say it's the best thing ever! Sweet Sam. And rockin' Mom.

Mrs. Butler said...

That is so awesome!!! I love how sometimes the simplest things can be SO cool!

Rachel said...

Oh that is FABULOUS!! Ali and I will SO be doing this - she'll be in heaven!! Thanks for the awesome idea!!

jessica said...

Love the idea! Saw it on Pinterest too, and thought it would be so much fun to do with the cousins. Great idea to do it in the color scheme of the room. Sam is so cute!