Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Perfect Use for Gigantic Zucchini

My parents have a garden and during the summer, they provide us with TONS of veggies. I love it!
Okra, yellow squash, tomatoes, and zucchini - HUGE zucchini.
The one pictured here is about a third the size of the largest I've gotten. Seriously.


How appropriate is my object for size reference?

Mom always warns me, "I don't know if this huge one will be any good..." Well, I can assure you, they are good, especially when used in this Zucchini Lasagna recipe (which also happens to be GF)!

Beware, this is no fancy recipe. So get ready to be under-impressed...until you taste it!

Zucchini Lasagna (GF)
Ingredients
1 large zucchini, or 3 medium (just be sure you have enough) sliced pretty thinly (1/4 inch or so), lengthwise
1 large jar of Classico Tomato Basil spaghetti sauce (or your favorite spaghetti sauce, this one just so happens to be delicious, cheap and GF). I didn't use the whole jar but I used most of it. Just adjust how much you use according to how meaty or saucy you want your sauce mixture to be ;).
1 lb. of Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage
3 c shredded mozzarella cheese (reserve 1/2 cup or so of the cheese to sprinkle on top)
1 c Greek yogurt (this is taking the place of ricotta cheese/cottage cheese)
Sprinkling of Pamela's Ultimate Baking Mix (or flour if you're not GF)

Directions
Preheat your oven to 375°.
Boil your zucchini slices for 3 minutes. Then, lay out to dry on paper towels.
Brown sausage.
Add the sauce to sausage and let simmer for a few minutes.
Mix up the mozzarella cheese with the Greek yogurt.

Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
Cover the bottom of the pan with slices of zucchini.
Sprinkle a little bit, a little bit, of Pamela's/flour over the zucchini.
Spread a layer of the cheese mixture.
Cover with a layer of the meat and sauce.
Repeat: zucchini with a sprinkle of flour, cheese, sauce.
If you have any cheese leftover, feel free to sprinkle that on top too.

I feel as though I've exceeded my usage of the word "sprinkle" in this recipe.

Continuing on.

Bake the lasagna for 40 minutes or until heated through and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!

I got a few pointers from this post.

No comments: