Monday, August 24, 2009

So, Maybe I'm Doing Something Wrong

Remember this guy?
How could you forget? I haven't. I'm constantly checking over my shoulder, expecting him to be on the next aisle at Walmart, or to show up at my front door. Ok, that's a little bit of an exxageration, but still...I'm keeping an eye out for him.

Which is probably why I was so sensitive to the kid at the park yesterday. We were out running errands and it was time to feed Grey. We were close to Veteran's Park and it was a gorgeous day, so we decided to go let Sam play while I fed Grey. Anyway, I was sitting up against a building in the shade, watching Bob and Sam, feeding Grey, enjoying the breeze and thinking that my life seems too good sometimes. When, all of a sudden, this little boy...he was probably 12, made eye contact with me and starting looking at my nursing cover. Oh great, here we go again!

He walks over and stands under the shade near me and says something like, "If you cover up a baby, he'll go to sleep." To which I responded something about it being ok if he went to sleep. Well, he didn't seem to want to go away so I calmly asked him to go play on the playground. He did but it wasn't long before he was back. This time, he bent down beside me and was going to lift up the nursing cover. That's right...he was reaching down to lift it up. Imagine me, sitting, leaning back on the building and nursing. I wasn't really in a position to move away quicky.

So, I laughingly said, "Please don't touch him." I looked up trying to get Bob's attention so that he could come rescue me but he was busy keeping Sam from jumping off a platform. After a few more awkward seconds, Bob did look up and quickly figured out what was going on. He started walking over and the boy just wandered off.

Again, I'm pretty sure something was wrong with this little boy. He actually came back a third time and brought his brother. The brother kept telling me he didn't know why the original boy was so obsessed with babies, but he was. All this to say, I feel bad that these boys are obviously dealing with some sort of disability combined with quite a bit of curiousity. I feel even worse that it makes me feel so awkward. But what the heck am I supposed to do?!

4 comments:

Laura said...

That's awesome. Maybe you need a bodyguard.

Lindsay said...

Yikes. I have a comment, but probably not one I should post. Remind me to tell you later.

Jaci Spain said...

Noooo! I would have freaked out too!

Melissa said...

They seem to follow you around, don't they. Crazy!